The Edo State Governor, Mr Godwin Obaseki, has charged the new Head of Service (HoS), Mr Isaac Ehiozuwa, to hit the ground running in terms of developing the state’s civil service.
Obaseki urged Ehiozuwa to put to use, his wealth of experience, in fast-tracking the ongoing reforms of the state’s civil service in line with the vision of his administration.
Obaseki gave the charge on Monday, at the Government House in Benin City, the state capital, during the swearing in ceremony of the new HoS.
“We have resolved to give world-class trainings to our civil servants and you will help reshape the civil service to ensure that everybody that works for the state government must be Information and Communication Technology (ICT)-compliant.
“We know you are hardworking and have the capacity to bring the desired reform in the sector,” the governor said.
The governor explained that his administration’s vision is to reform all aspects of the state’s civil and public service for optimal performance.
He maintained that work has started on the reform of the physical environment with the ongoing revamp of the buildings in the Secretariat Complex, and charged the new HoS to commence work with the reform of the people in the service.
“One of the key responsibilities of the new HoS would be to reform the people in the service” he added, and urged Mr. Ehiozuwa to build on the legacies of his predecessors.
In his remark, the new HoS expressed gratitude to the governor for the confidence reposed in him and described his appointment as a call to service.
He assured that he would live up to the estimation of the state government and people of the state, adding “I will do my duties with diligence and will put in my best in the interest of the state.
Ehiozuwa said his vision for the service will be driven by “excellence and proficiency in service delivery by all civil servants” and promised to leverage on the experiences of his predecessors.
The new Head of Service takes over from Mrs Gladys Idahor who retired from service earlier in November.
Akpabio vows to crush Emmanuel
Godswill Akpabio, the former governor of Akwa Ibom State on Sunday vowed to crush the incumbent governor in the 2019 elections. He stated that he brought Emmanuel Udom from Lagos and installed him as Governor of the state.
Akpabio further disclosed that Emmanuel Udom never had a membership card of any political party neither had he contested for any election on his own, before he (Akpabio) picked him up from Lagos and made him Governor.
Daily Post reported that the former Senate Minority Leader who said the All Progressives Congress, APC, would record a landslide victory in the general elections in the State, added;
“I was shocked that Emmanuel whom I brought from Lagos and installed as a Governor even though he was not a member of the party on whose platform he stood election and become Governor, could call a world press conference to insult me.
He said, ‘’the electorate in the state would reciprocate the kind gesture of Mr President Buhari by voting massively for him and all candidates of the APC in the state.’’
Akpabio who took a swipe at Governor Emmanuel over what he described as hypocritical campaign slogan tagged “only God”, said God cannot be mocked, noting that;
“Only God could have made it possible to make someone who was never a party member to become a governor.
“Only God could have made somebody who has never had a party card or know what is called ward to become a governor.
“Only God could have made someone who could not have stood election on his own even as a Councilor and win to be brought from somewhere and made Governor.
”Only God could have made a man who has never helped anyone to become anything to become governor.”
Buhari to meet APC NWC
President Muhammadu Buhari may meet All Progressives Congress (APC) National Chairman Adams Oshiomhole and members of the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) this week over the campaign for next year’s poll.
The meeting may also review reconciliation efforts to pacify aggrieved members.
The President has banned public officers and agencies from contributing to his campaign.
There are indications, however, that most leaders prefer the beginning of marathon rallies from January.
Other support groups can, however, engage in various campaigns nationwide.
The NWC wrote President Buhari before his trip to Poland for an audience to firm up campaign modalities.
A presidency source said: “Mr President will soon kick off his campaign after consultations with the party. The NWC actually wrote to seek an audience with him on some issues.
“These issues are campaign modalities, determining the kick-off date, outcome of the reconciliation efforts and how to ensure victory at the poll. Do not forget that the party gave the six reconciliation panels a two-week deadline to complete their assignment.
“The President promised to meet with the NWC after his trip to Poland. So, the session may hold this week.”
Responding to a question, the source added: “ Buhari does not want public funds diverted to his campaign. He has warned public officers, ministries, departments and agencies against contributing to his campaign.
“ The President is determined to end the practice of diverting funds meant for projects to the campaign. Certainly, the 2019 poll will be based on character and the achievements of this administration.
“Government officers and heads of agencies who plan to fiddle with public funds for the campaign will have themselves to blame.”
Most APC leaders prefer January for campaign shuttles in order not to disrupt the Christmas session.
Some leaders also advised the President to lay the 2019 Budget before embarking on the campaign.
Donald trump nominates Heather Nauert as UN envoy
The President of the United States,Donald Trump has announced that the spokeswoman for the State Department and former Fox TV news anchor Heather Nauert Friday will be the new ambassador to the United Nations.
Trump told reporters that Nauert, who is going to be Nikki Haley’s sucessor, had done well at the State Department by all,” Trump said.
He further added that Nauert through her hard work and diligence has proved beyond doubt that she is worthy of the office.Haley,the incumbent ambassador announced who had also served as the governor of South Carolina has decided to step down to pursue her political dreams.
Nauert — a former anchor of “Fox and Friends,” among the television-loving Trump’s favorite shows — is the spokeswoman of the State Department despite the fact that she lacks foreign policy experience.
Unlike her predecessor , Nauert is not expected to have cabinet status,which means that foreign policy decisions will remain firmly with Trump’s hawkish national security advisor John Bolton, and Nauert’s current boss, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
This recommendation would have to go through the senate and it is likely to come to fruition and gain support since the republicans enjoy majority in the house.
Israel, a very close ally has shown their support for the new change, they hope to continue to enjoy the support of the United States in the UN Security Council.
“Ms. Nauert has stood by the State of Israel in her previous positions, and I have no doubt that the cooperation between our two countries will continue to strengthen as ambassador to the UN,” Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations, Danny Danon, said in a statement.
Haley, in what could be a final diplomatic push, on Thursday failed in a bid for the UN General Assembly to condemn the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas for firing rockets at Israel.
But for the United States, the vote also succeeded in reaffirming its stance that the United Nations is biased against Israel.
Court sacks APC exco
The Anambra State Executive Committee (SEC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC), led by Emeka Ibe, has been sacked by a Federal High Court. But in a statement, yesterday in Awka, the state capital, by the State Publicity Secretary, Okelo Madukaife, the party said there was no cause for alarm.
The sack followed a suit filed by one of the state chairmanship contestants in the party’s congress in May, Mr Onyi Uzochukwu.
The plaintiff said Ibe was not properly nominated during the Congress.
He prayed the court to nullify the Congress and call for a fresh one.
Delivering judgment yesterday, Justice I. B. Gafai nullified the congress and ordered for a fresh one.
But the party said the court judgment had not been served on any of the sacked persons.
The statement said: “Our attention has been drawn to reports in some sections of the media to the effect that the Anambra State Executive of APC has been dissolved by a Federal High Court sitting in Awka.
“Our State Executive has not been served with any court process in any High Court matter relating to any subject around our mandate duly conferred on May 19…
“However, given our status as a party of the rule of law and due process, we shall, if and when we are served with such a process and judgment, study it properly with a view to doing the needful on it, within the hierarchy of laws and courts in Nigeria.
“For now, there is no shaking, as we remain in our duty post with three years and a half to complete our tenure.
“In the interim, our Executive remain intact, properly constituted and within the due discharge of its duties in our great party.”
Politics7 days ago
I never said Buhari was cloned – Nnamdi Kanu
Politics6 days ago
Staff of NASS disrupt legislative actives over unpaid salaries
Politics6 days ago
AAC presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore calls for transparency on campaign fund
Politics5 days ago
2019 Elections: PDP calls for free and fair election